This recipe turned out to be the best meal of the last seven days. Whenever Joyce says, " I don't know what you're cooking but it smells so damn good." Cooking relaxes me and it is the best time to think and reflect. The layout of our kitchen has an open floor design and the cutting board that allows easy access to prepare meals, cook and watch a good game of football. If the cooking preparation does not smell good then it simply won't taste good. I usually try to clean and cook at the same time (Good Luck with that). I have a habit of not eating once the food is ready. I have to take time and wait for the sounds of approval from dining guests. So on the second day back home my relaxation is to cook another meal to perfection and the kitchen is full of Italian heavenly flavors and a delicious pasta meal served with a fresh garden salad with my favorite blue cheese dressing with a rewarding taste of roasted garlic Parmesan and Alfredo sauce with chicken, sausage, and shrimp.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
· 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
· 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (1 inch)
1 pound mild or hot Italian sausage removed from casings.
2 links of Italian sausage with mozzarella cheese
· 12-15 medium shrimp
· 1/2 medium onion, chopped
4-5 sliced fresh mushrooms
· 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
· 1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoons of butter
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 6 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tbsp minced garlic
· 3 jars (24 ounces each) Alfredo sauce with Parmesan cheese
· 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
· 1/2 teaspoon pepper
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the chicken, sausage, mushrooms, onion, butter, red and green peppers in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Do not drain excess liquid!
3. Stir in the Alfredo sauce, soup, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese. Drain pasta; add to chicken mixture and toss to coat.
Serve desired amount immediately. Cool remaining mixture; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To use frozen pasta: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a large skillet; cook and stir over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
To microwave frozen pasta: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.